Hi. I’m Vivian. I’m a teenage writer and poet.
Up there? You see that photo? That photo was taken on the happiest day of my life. That thing I’m holding? That is the rough draft of my book, which I had just finished. And everything was perfect. I sang Taylor Swift’s “Love Story” at the top of my lungs. I felt wise. I knew what true love was. Fireworks exploded in the air.
A couple days later, I read through my draft. And lets just say I’m too smart to put the picture I took that day on the internet. My draft was riddled with mistakes. Why didn’t my words sing on paper like they usually did? My mascara dripped. I listened to Adele while eating store-bought cookies. “WE COULD OF HAD IT ALLLLLLLLLLL,” I wailed along. And then I remembered a brilliant, tasteful, exquisitely worded quote from one of my favorite writing books, Bird by Bird.
“Sh*tty first drafts.” – Anne Lamott
Of course! My first draft didn’t have to be good. That was a relief. Now, I’m editing my book, working towards my second draft, and starting a blog to share my journey. I’m getting through all the work with the help of, surprisingly, fashion, and living a literary life.
Here’s some other things you might want to know about me:
- I’m a teenager, but I write literary fiction that has adult main characters.
- This is partially because I hate teenagers. (Sorry y’all.)
- Despite this position of hating teenagers when in fact I am a teenager, I do not hate myself. Actually, I’m a huge believer in self-confidence. For anything you want to do in life, you’re going to need it!
- I also like writing short stories, blog posts, poetry, and performing spoken word.
- The thing I love most in the world: Language
- The thing I hate most in the world: Pants that have pockets but then you put your hands in them and you realize that they are FAKE pockets.
- I am a feminist.
- I love fashion. (I may have watched over 20 seasons of Project Runway. Yes, I know there are only 15 seasons right now. But that’s just the U.S. version. You didn’t count the Canadian and Australian seasons, did you? Didn’t think so.)
- My personal style is something I like to call “literary vintage eccentric.” Which basically means put me in a consignment shop and I’m happy.
- I’m a big believer in living a literary life. I write every morning. I take poetry walks. I attend writing classes. I wear clothing that makes me feel like a writer. I use home decor to remind myself exactly what I love to do. I make bookish DIYs. I read as much as I can. And I want to help you live a little bit more literarily. I want to remind you to read (while telling you the books to skip.) I want to give prompts that will inspire you to write. I want to create printables, like schedules and planners, that will help you create time to write everyday. Because you can do it. We can do it. Writing, despite being a solitary activity, has a community that is vibrant and supportive. To quote another amazing piece of art:
“We’re all in this together.” – High school Musical
Are you ready to be living a life filled with the things you love the most? Follow my blog, Instagram, and Pinterest to get tips and inspiration, or contact me at my email: firstname.lastname@example.org